San Giovanni Tower

Description

History left its mark on this place. Around the year Thousand a fortification was erected; afterwards, one of its towers was turned into a beautiful Romanesque belfry, next to which the first parish church was built. The ancient XIV Century building was reshaped during the XVIII Century, but sadly it’s no longer visible today.  In fact, the old church of San Giovanni was demolished in 1904, causing great sorrow to Angelo Roncalli, who loved it very much.