Tadini Academy of Fine Arts

Description

The cultural project of the Earl is set in the active discussion about the educative function of this Museum.Such debate was animated by the Enlightenment ideas and by that strong civic feeling which, between the 18th and the 19th centuries, saw the foundation of the privately-owned Carrara Academy (Bergamo, 1795), Picture Gallery by Paolo Tosio (Brescia, 1832), Malaspina Building of ine arts (Pavia, 1833), Ala Ponzone Institute (Cremona, 1842), which put the basis of the current Museum network in Lombardy.

Carrara Academy is the most charming of the above-mentioned institutions: apart from benefiting from a superb location on the lake, it is the only one that has kept its original collection, library and historical archive united in its original building.

Earl Tadini and his family used to go to Lovere on holidays; after the tragic death of his son Faustino due to the collapse of a building, he stayed away from the town for quite a long time. He came back in 1818, determined to build a palace hosting his art collections. Sebastiano Salimbeni, an 'amateur architect', carried out the project.

The palace, designed around the chapel dedicated to Faustino Tadini (commemorated through a Stele by Antonio Canova), was due to host not only Tadini's collection, but the design and music school which became an important reference point for the territory. The construction was realised between 1821 and 1824. In 1827, it could already house all of Tadini's art collections, which until that moment lived in its private residence in Crema.

Tadini Academy of Fine Arts formally established in 1829, which is when its founder died. It is among the oldest museums in Lombardy and expresses the love for Neoclassicism. The School of Music is still active, with a regular academic year as well as specialisation summer courses for violinists, cellists and lyrical singers. From 1927, the Concert Hall has been hosting prestigious chamber music concerts with singers of international standing. The event takes place annually in April and May. Exhibition criteria The superb palace overlooks the lake and has retained its old charm.

Luigi Tadini's collection relects the various artistic interests of this nobleman, whose ideas were inluenced by the Lombard Enlightenment 55 Accademia di Belle Arti Tadini - Lovereand whose library incorporates literary, philosophical, historic and scientiic books. Earl Tadini was, indeed, passionate about most forms of art, technique and nature: not only did he collect paintings, sculptures, drawings and chinaware, but also minerals, fossils and animals. His thought is summarised on the simple dedicatory epigraph which is situated on the entrance grand staircase and which he personally dictated: A. MDCCCXXVI / LITTERIS ARTIBUS NATURAE / DICATUM.

The core collection is Antonio Canova's production (the Tadini family personally knew the artist), whose most signiicant works are Religion, a rare terracotta sketch for Clemente XIII's monument and Tadini Stele, commemorating Faustino, the Earl's son, which is one of the last masterpieces of the sculptor.

The Gallery, which is accessible through three lights of stairs, is composed of 23 connected rooms arranged according to the old criteria: Archaeological room is one of the few works in Lombardy that kept its 19th century furnishing and all the rooms display ceilings painted by Luigi Dell'Era from Treviglio (1826). The itinerary includes an elegant selection of art objects in Neoclassic style, among which is an impressive chinaware collection from the most important Italian and European factories, including Meissen, Sevres, Real Factory from Naples.

The masterpieces Madonna and Child by Jacopo Bellini, Sant'Antonio from Padua by Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini, an altar piece by Paris Bordon, Portrait of an innkeeper by Giacomo Ceruti also known as Pitocchetto, three paintings by Francesco Hayez (Ecce Homo, Self-Portrait, Madonna), a section exhibiting by turns modern and contemporary art objects from different periods, are a must.

Subsequent adquisitions, after the exhibitions at Tadini Atelier, have gradually formed the bottom of the modern and contemporary art section. In this respect, Europars season is of particular interest, in that it presents high-proile artists from all over the world. Several frescoes from the 16th century were taken from the outer walls of some Lovere houses and collected in the conference room. They document the Academy's commitment to preserve and valorise territorial resources.


Continue

The cultural project of the Earl is set in the active discussion about the educative function of this Museum.Such debate was animated by the Enlightenment ideas and by that strong civic feeling which, between the 18th and the 19th centuries, saw the foundation of the privately-owned Carrara Academy (Bergamo, 1795), Picture Gallery by Paolo Tosio (Brescia, 1832), Malaspina Building of ine arts (Pavia, 1833), Ala Ponzone Institute (Cremona, 1842), which put the basis of the current Museum network in Lombardy.

Carrara Academy is the most charming of the above-mentioned institutions: apart from benefiting from a superb location on the lake, it is the only one that has kept its original collection, library and historical archive united in its original building.

Earl Tadini and his family used to go to Lovere on holidays; after the tragic death of his son Faustino due to the collapse of a building, he stayed away from the town for quite a long time. He came back in 1818, determined to build a palace hosting his art collections. Sebastiano Salimbeni, an 'amateur architect', carried out the project.

The palace, designed around the chapel dedicated to Faustino Tadini (commemorated through a Stele by Antonio Canova), was due to host not only Tadini's collection, but the design and music school which became an important reference point for the territory. The construction was realised between 1821 and 1824. In 1827, it could already house all of Tadini's art collections, which until that moment lived in its private residence in Crema.

Tadini Academy of Fine Arts formally established in 1829, which is when its founder died. It is among the oldest museums in Lombardy and expresses the love for Neoclassicism. The School of Music is still active, with a regular academic year as well as specialisation summer courses for violinists, cellists and lyrical singers. From 1927, the Concert Hall has been hosting prestigious chamber music concerts with singers of international standing. The event takes place annually in April and May. Exhibition criteria The superb palace overlooks the lake and has retained its old charm.

Luigi Tadini's collection relects the various artistic interests of this nobleman, whose ideas were inluenced by the Lombard Enlightenment 55 Accademia di Belle Arti Tadini - Lovereand whose library incorporates literary, philosophical, historic and scientiic books. Earl Tadini was, indeed, passionate about most forms of art, technique and nature: not only did he collect paintings, sculptures, drawings and chinaware, but also minerals, fossils and animals. His thought is summarised on the simple dedicatory epigraph which is situated on the entrance grand staircase and which he personally dictated: A. MDCCCXXVI / LITTERIS ARTIBUS NATURAE / DICATUM.

The core collection is Antonio Canova's production (the Tadini family personally knew the artist), whose most signiicant works are Religion, a rare terracotta sketch for Clemente XIII's monument and Tadini Stele, commemorating Faustino, the Earl's son, which is one of the last masterpieces of the sculptor.

The Gallery, which is accessible through three lights of stairs, is composed of 23 connected rooms arranged according to the old criteria: Archaeological room is one of the few works in Lombardy that kept its 19th century furnishing and all the rooms display ceilings painted by Luigi Dell'Era from Treviglio (1826). The itinerary includes an elegant selection of art objects in Neoclassic style, among which is an impressive chinaware collection from the most important Italian and European factories, including Meissen, Sevres, Real Factory from Naples.

The masterpieces Madonna and Child by Jacopo Bellini, Sant'Antonio from Padua by Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini, an altar piece by Paris Bordon, Portrait of an innkeeper by Giacomo Ceruti also known as Pitocchetto, three paintings by Francesco Hayez (Ecce Homo, Self-Portrait, Madonna), a section exhibiting by turns modern and contemporary art objects from different periods, are a must.

Subsequent adquisitions, after the exhibitions at Tadini Atelier, have gradually formed the bottom of the modern and contemporary art section. In this respect, Europars season is of particular interest, in that it presents high-proile artists from all over the world. Several frescoes from the 16th century were taken from the outer walls of some Lovere houses and collected in the conference room. They document the Academy's commitment to preserve and valorise territorial resources.