Sanctuary of our Lady of the Graces

Description

In the small village of Ardesio, at the foot of the Orobie Prealps, rises the majestic Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, an important example of Baroque art in the Seriana Valley. The sanctuary dates back to the seventeenth century and was built in the place where, traditionally, Our Lady appeared to the young Mary and Catherine Salera. The feast of the Apparition falls on June 23rd.

With a large churchyard, the structure’s exterior is very simple but the interior shows its beauty and Baroque richness, with walls and a vault full of decorations and artworks.

There are numerous works of art, sculptures and furnishings that we can admire inside the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie: above all the fresco of the apparition, called this way because it is where Our Lady appeared, the only fresco left of the so-called "Room of the Saints", the room of the Salera family's house that was frescoed by a priest during the 15th century with a series of religious images.

Also noteworthy is the Organ, the work of artisan Giovanni Rogantino from Morbegno that with 1345 pipes and 10 stops is certainly one of the largest organs in the Bergamo area, incomparable to others both in terms of size and wealth of carvings.

The statue of the Madonna with the Child is brought out every year on June 22nd in the Solemn Procession, and many objects are offered as gifts to Our Lady by pilgrims.

The bell tower is 68 metres high, three times the height of the Sanctuary and is made completely from marble.

 


Continue

In the small village of Ardesio, at the foot of the Orobie Prealps, rises the majestic Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, an important example of Baroque art in the Seriana Valley. The sanctuary dates back to the seventeenth century and was built in the place where, traditionally, Our Lady appeared to the young Mary and Catherine Salera. The feast of the Apparition falls on June 23rd.

With a large churchyard, the structure’s exterior is very simple but the interior shows its beauty and Baroque richness, with walls and a vault full of decorations and artworks.

There are numerous works of art, sculptures and furnishings that we can admire inside the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie: above all the fresco of the apparition, called this way because it is where Our Lady appeared, the only fresco left of the so-called "Room of the Saints", the room of the Salera family's house that was frescoed by a priest during the 15th century with a series of religious images.

Also noteworthy is the Organ, the work of artisan Giovanni Rogantino from Morbegno that with 1345 pipes and 10 stops is certainly one of the largest organs in the Bergamo area, incomparable to others both in terms of size and wealth of carvings.

The statue of the Madonna with the Child is brought out every year on June 22nd in the Solemn Procession, and many objects are offered as gifts to Our Lady by pilgrims.

The bell tower is 68 metres high, three times the height of the Sanctuary and is made completely from marble.