Archaeological Museum

Archaeological Museum

Description

The first exhibition of the current Archaeology Museum was located in the Loggia under the Palazzo della Ragione, in Piazza Vecchia, where it was simply a “collection of old stuff” and included several epigraphs.

Since then, the collection moved several times: in fact, it required more and more space due to the conspicuous and constant donations over the centuries. Today the Museum is housed in the Cittadella Palace (XIV Century), built by the Visconti family, Milan’s ancient rulers.

Visitors can plunge into history just looking at the museum’s walls. Visiting the Archaeology Museum is like going on a journey across the history of Bergamo and its territory, from its prehistoric background to the Langobardic domination in the Middle Age.
It is very common do find groups of children and kids inside it. In fact, the “Centro Didattico-culturale”, the former “Gruppo Guide del Museo” established in 1981, contributes to give a strong educational spirit to the Museum, by carrying out many guided tours, workshops and activities for children and adults.


An itinerant museum: the other historical seats of the collection.
In 1770, the collection was transferred from the first seat to the palace above the Fontanone fountain, where it remained until 1818, the year it was dismantled and subdivided.

Meanwhile, other collections were created, such as the remarkable donation by the Count Paolo Vimercati Sozzi, consisting of artefacts coming from all over the province, along with many remains discovered by chance in several excavation sites, then registered in the specialized publication “Notizie Archeologiche Bergomensi” published in 1900 by Professor Gaetano Mantovani.

In the Rocca fortress, during the early ‘30s, all the collections were gathered for the first time: unfortunately, they had to be secured during the War. Only in 1960 the Museum finally found its permanent location.

Continue

The first exhibition of the current Archaeology Museum was located in the Loggia under the Palazzo della Ragione, in Piazza Vecchia, where it was simply a “collection of old stuff” and included several epigraphs.

Since then, the collection moved several times: in fact, it required more and more space due to the conspicuous and constant donations over the centuries. Today the Museum is housed in the Cittadella Palace (XIV Century), built by the Visconti family, Milan’s ancient rulers.

Visitors can plunge into history just looking at the museum’s walls. Visiting the Archaeology Museum is like going on a journey across the history of Bergamo and its territory, from its prehistoric background to the Langobardic domination in the Middle Age.
It is very common do find groups of children and kids inside it. In fact, the “Centro Didattico-culturale”, the former “Gruppo Guide del Museo” established in 1981, contributes to give a strong educational spirit to the Museum, by carrying out many guided tours, workshops and activities for children and adults.


An itinerant museum: the other historical seats of the collection.
In 1770, the collection was transferred from the first seat to the palace above the Fontanone fountain, where it remained until 1818, the year it was dismantled and subdivided.

Meanwhile, other collections were created, such as the remarkable donation by the Count Paolo Vimercati Sozzi, consisting of artefacts coming from all over the province, along with many remains discovered by chance in several excavation sites, then registered in the specialized publication “Notizie Archeologiche Bergomensi” published in 1900 by Professor Gaetano Mantovani.

In the Rocca fortress, during the early ‘30s, all the collections were gathered for the first time: unfortunately, they had to be secured during the War. Only in 1960 the Museum finally found its permanent location.

Accessibility

RAGGIUNGERE:

Parcheggio:
a 150 metri (Largo colle Aperto): 3 posti auto riservati a norma; possibilità di richiesta pass per parcheggio in piazza Cittadella.

Mezzi pubblici:
a 150 metri (Largo Colle Aperto): fermata capolinea autobus linea 1; altezza gradino 15 cm; bus attrezzato con pedana manuale.

Percorso pedonale di avvicinamento da parcheggi e fermata bus: in piano e adeguato per larghezza e tipo pavimentazione; privo di segnalazioni tattilo-plantari.


ENTRARE:

Ingresso in piano preceduto da pavimentazione in lastre di pietra leggermente sconnesse.
Bancone  biglietteria altezza= 100 cm
Accesso a sale espositive in piano, direttamente dalla biglietteria


VISITARE:

Percorso espositivo quasi tutto a piano terra, più uno spazio soppalcato raggiungibile attraverso scale e una piattaforma elevatrice (larghezza porta 80 cm; cabina 80x120; portata 250 kg)

Molti oggetti sono collocati in espositori posti ad altezza di 110 cm e i cartellini, appoggiati in piano sono poco leggibili.
Non sono presenti accorgimenti per non vedenti.


USARE IL BAGNO:

Bagno accessibile al piano terra a fianco alla biglietteria.
Porta 85 cm con apertura esterna; locale 190x200 cm; wc altezza 52 cm, accostamento frontale e laterale; presenza di maniglioni; doccino per bidet; lavabo ergonomico altezza 80 cm, con specchio inclinato.


Valutazione sintetica

Persona con disabilità motoria: accessibile in autonomia. 
Persona con disabilità visiva: poco fruibile.

Gallery

Not to be missed in this area

OSTERIA DELLA BIRRA

E. Caffi - Natural Science Museum
Archaeological Area
Cittadella Viscontea

Palazzo Roncalli

Montagna da vivere – The Orobie in photographs by Tito Terzi

From November 06, 2020 at January 31, 2021

Montagna da vivere – The...

Piazza Mercato del Fieno, 6a, 24129 Bergamo, Bergamo

Del Rosso Michela

Casa vacanze La Cittadella

DAI GUSTOSI ALLA CAMPANELLA

  • +39035210060
  • Bergamo
    Piazza Mascheroni 4

Fumagalli Upper Town

Hostaria at Relais San Lorenzo

  • bit.ly/2lymf1U
  • +39 035237383
  • Piazza Lorenzo Mascheroni, 9A, 24129 Bergamo, Bergamo

Casa Nicoli