Contarini Fountain

Description

There’s a white Zandobbio marble octagon in the middle of Piazza Vecchia, the most renowned square of the Upper Town. The fountain is decorated with statues of sphynxes, lions and snakes.

The monument, given to the city of Bergamo by the city chief magistrate Alvise Contarini in 1780, hasn’t always been located here: in fact, during about 30 years it was replaced by a statue of Garibaldi, which was later moved in Lower Bergamo in 1900.

Here’s a fun fact. Currently, the Contarini Fountain is merely decorative, but when it was built it was used as a water reservoir for home use and to combat dryness as well. 


Continue

There’s a white Zandobbio marble octagon in the middle of Piazza Vecchia, the most renowned square of the Upper Town. The fountain is decorated with statues of sphynxes, lions and snakes.

The monument, given to the city of Bergamo by the city chief magistrate Alvise Contarini in 1780, hasn’t always been located here: in fact, during about 30 years it was replaced by a statue of Garibaldi, which was later moved in Lower Bergamo in 1900.

Here’s a fun fact. Currently, the Contarini Fountain is merely decorative, but when it was built it was used as a water reservoir for home use and to combat dryness as well.