SANCTUARY OF MADONNA DELLA CERIOLA

Description

Located on Monte Isola, the largest lake island in the middle of Lake Iseo. It is located at the highest point of the lake and from there you can admire a wide view of the lake and the surrounding mountains.

The Sanctuary of Madonna della Ceriola was the first building worshipping Our Lady to be built in the Lake Iseo area, in fact, its origins date back to the mid-fifth century.

The name "Madonna della Ceriola", probably derives from the oak (cerro in Italian), used to build the twelfth century wooden statue, representing the Virgin enthroned with the Child in her arms, venerated inside the Sanctuary.

Inside the sanctuary there are numerous frescoes, paintings and ex-voto, the gifts from the faithful that recall the graces attributed to Our Lady.

Every second Sunday of July there is the "Madonna del Colera" celebration, in gratitude for the protection given to the inhabitants of the island against an 1836 cholera epidemic.

Today the sanctuary is the symbol of civil unity among all the citizens of the only municipality of Monte Isola, which carries in its emblem the figure of the Sanctuary of Madonna della Ceriola.

Getting there is simple. The sanctuary is served by a cobbled mule track that connects it to the locality Cure, and on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays there is a bus service that starts near the pier of Peschiera Maraglio and stops in the locality of Cure.

Also from Peschiera Maraglio starts the path that leads to the Sanctuary and along the path are 15 chapels that celebrate the mysteries of the Rosary, built in the second half of the twentieth century.

During religious services, visits are suspended.

 


Continue

Located on Monte Isola, the largest lake island in the middle of Lake Iseo. It is located at the highest point of the lake and from there you can admire a wide view of the lake and the surrounding mountains.

The Sanctuary of Madonna della Ceriola was the first building worshipping Our Lady to be built in the Lake Iseo area, in fact, its origins date back to the mid-fifth century.

The name "Madonna della Ceriola", probably derives from the oak (cerro in Italian), used to build the twelfth century wooden statue, representing the Virgin enthroned with the Child in her arms, venerated inside the Sanctuary.

Inside the sanctuary there are numerous frescoes, paintings and ex-voto, the gifts from the faithful that recall the graces attributed to Our Lady.

Every second Sunday of July there is the "Madonna del Colera" celebration, in gratitude for the protection given to the inhabitants of the island against an 1836 cholera epidemic.

Today the sanctuary is the symbol of civil unity among all the citizens of the only municipality of Monte Isola, which carries in its emblem the figure of the Sanctuary of Madonna della Ceriola.

Getting there is simple. The sanctuary is served by a cobbled mule track that connects it to the locality Cure, and on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays there is a bus service that starts near the pier of Peschiera Maraglio and stops in the locality of Cure.

Also from Peschiera Maraglio starts the path that leads to the Sanctuary and along the path are 15 chapels that celebrate the mysteries of the Rosary, built in the second half of the twentieth century.

During religious services, visits are suspended.