The Accademia Carrara collection
Masterpieces to be admired in their marvellous setting.

After a great tour in international museums, the masterpieces by Botticelli, Tiziano, and Bellini are once again exhibited in the pinacotheca of Bergamo that reopens completely refurbished.

Seven years, six countries, and three different continents: a stage journey in the most important museums of the world, where Accademia Carrara brought the great Renaissance painters, which reached the Big Apple or Australia by plane and Russia on super protected trucks.

Now Tiziano, Tiepolo, and Bellini, with his magnificent Madonna and Child have returned home, in the pinacotheca that is named after its founder:  Count Giacomo Carrara that in 1794 founded Accademia Carrara as didactic gallery for the painting school.

Over the centuries, Accademia Carrara, thanks to donations, became one of the most important European modern art collections, kept from 1810 in the marvellous building designed by the architect Simone Elia. Almost two centuries later, in 2008, the pinacotheca closed for long refurbishment and redevelopment works: an unmissable occasion to share an important heritage of art and beauty with the world; that from the reopening of the museum, on 23 April 2015 can once again be admired in Bergamo.

During it s great tour, Accademia Carrara went to New York, at the prestigious Metropolitan Museum, where thanks to the works of great Renaissance artists and masterpieces by Lotto and Moron it is recognised as “a jewel among Italian museums and an oasis for art lovers”.
From America, to the other side of the world: Accademia Carrara also arrived at the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra, stopped in Poland at Muzeum Narodowe in Poznan with a focus on painting between the XV and XVII century, while with Botticelli and Guardi it went to France, at the Musée des Beaux Arts in Caen.
The works by Canaletto and Carpaccio are among the most important ones lent to the Hermitage in Lausanne for the Accademia Carrara exhibition, which offered the visitors of the Pushkin Museum in Moscow and Waldemarsudde Museum in Stockholm a sample of the magnificent collection now in permanent exhibition in Bergamo.